Reims, France May 7, 1945

Five days after the suicide of Adolf Hitler on April 30, 1945, Adm. Hans-Georg von Friede­burg, an emis­sary from Grand Admiral Karl Doenitz, arrived in Reims, France, head­quarters of Gen. Dwight D. Eisen­hower, Supreme Com­mander Allied Exped­i­tionary Force. Friede­burg was tasked with opening sur­render negot­i­ations on behalf of Doenitz, head of the rump Nazi state centered on Flensburg, Northern Germany.

Friedeburg began, Eisen­hower remarked later, “playing for time” so that the German armed forces could move as many men as pos­sible behind Anglo-Amer­i­can lines and away from Soviet lines in East­ern Europe. Friede­burg was brought up short when Eisen­hower’s repre­sen­ta­tive, Gen. Walter Bedell Smith, made it plain that the Allies would only accept uncon­di­tional sur­render on all fronts. Doenitz com­plied with the demand, em­powering Col. Gen. Alfred Jodl, Chief of the Opera­tions Staff of the Armed Forces High Com­mand (Ober­kommando der Wehr­macht, or OKW), to sign on this date in 1945 in Reims formal papers of sur­render of all German land, sea, and air forces in Europe. After affixing his signa­ture, 54‑year-old Jodl addressed his audi­ence, saying: “At this hour, we [he meant the ­German nation and German Armed Forces] can only hope that the vic­tors will be gene­rous.” Eisen­hower coolly responded that “the German Supreme Com­mander will appear for the sur­render to the Russians at the time and the place that the Russian High Command will designate.”

Following the signing ceremony Eisen­hower in­formed the Allied War Office in London: “The mis­sion of this Allied Force was fulfilled at 0241, local time, May 7, 1945.” The next day in Berlin, May 8, 1945, Field Marshal Wilhelm Keitel, head of the entire OKW, along with repre­sen­ta­tives of the German Navy and Air Force, signed a second uncon­di­tional sur­render docu­ment in Berlin-Karls­horst. Present were Soviet Marshal Georgy Zhukov, signing on behalf of the Supreme Com­mand of the Red Army; Deputy Supreme Com­mander Allied Expedi­tionary Force British Air Chief Marshal Arthur Tedder, signing as Gen. Eisen­hower’s repre­sen­ta­tive; and French Gen. Jean de Lattre de Tassigny, who signed as a witness. When Keitel saw the French dele­ga­tion, he exclaimed, “What? The French too?”

The war in Europe was over after nearly 5‑1/2 years and the deaths of between 65 and 85 million combatants and noncombatants. (The higher figure represents the millions who died from war-related disease and famine.) The German Reich Adolf Hitler had vowed would endure a thousand years had lasted a pitiful and extremely painful dozen.

The German Instrument of Surrender, May 7, 1945

Backs to camera Von Friedeburg (left), Jodl, Oxenius, Reims, France, May 7, 1945 Oxenius (left), Jodl (signing), Von Friedeburg

Left: At 2:41 a.m. on Monday, May 7, 1945, Col. Gen. Alfred Jodl, Chief of the Operations Staff of the Armed Forces High Command, along with two other German offi­cers, gathered in the map room of the head­quarters (a former school building) of Gen. Dwight D. Eisen­hower, Supreme Allied Com­mander in Europe. The three German offi­cers (backs to the camera) were flanked on three sides of the large table by U.S., British, French, and Soviet officers, who watched Jodl sign the German Instru­ment of Surrender, which ended World War II in Europe.

Right: Jodl, Chief of Staff in Reich President Adm. Karl Doenitz’s govern­ment (suc­cessor regime to Hitler’s), signs the docu­ment of uncon­di­tional sur­render. On Jodl’s left is Adm. Hans-Georg von Friede­burg of the Ger­man Navy, and on the right is Jodl’s aide and trans­lator, Maj. Wilhelm Oxenius. Friede­burg, who was in Berlin the next day to sign the second Ger­man Instru­ment of Sur­ren­der at Soviet military head­quarters, com­mitted sui­cide on May 23, 1945, when a British team arrived at Doe­nitz’s head­quarters in Flens­burg, North­ern Ger­many, and arrested mem­bers of his Nazi govern­ment. Jodl was tried by the post­war Inter­national Mili­tary Tri­bu­nal at Nurem­berg, sentenced to death, and hanged as a war criminal on October 16, 1946.

German Instrument of Surrender, May 7, 1945

Above: Jodl signed the “Act of Military Surrender,” the first of two sur­ren­der docu­ments signed by the German mili­tary. At the same time Jodl signed Eisen­hower’s copy of the sur­render docu­ment, he signed three more, one each for Great Britain, the Soviet Union, and France. Over Jodl’s signa­ture are the words, “On behalf of the German High Com­mand,” not (and this became signi­fi­cant later) as a repre­sen­ta­tive of the legal head of state, Reich Pre­si­dent Doe­nitz, and his civil­ian govern­ment (though he was that). Under Jodl’s signa­ture in capital letters are the words, “IN THE PRESENCE OF.” Then appeared the signa­tures of Gen. Walter Bedell Smith, Eisen­hower’s chief of staff, who signed on behalf of the Supreme Com­mander Allied Exped­i­tion­ary Force; Ivan Souslo­parov, who signed on behalf of the Soviet High Com­mand; and François Sevez, a Major General in the French Army, who signed as witness.

Contemporary Newsreel Account of Repeat German Surrender Ceremony the Next Day in Berlin, May 8, 1945, VE Day

WWII Chronicles book coverHistory buffs, there is good news! The Daily Chronicles of World War II is now avail­able as an ebook for $4.99 on The ebook contains a year’s worth of dated entries from this web­site. Featuring inven­tive naviga­tion aids, the ebook enables readers to instantly move for­ward or back­ward by month and date to different dated entries. Simple and elegant! Click here to purchase the ebook.